Our core provides a stable platform for almost all movements we complete. These movements include those we complete at the gym and at home in everyday life. So what is our core? Our core is a group of musculature that supports our trunk. The musculature includes muscles deep in our stomach. These muscles provide a foundation that is similar to the foundations of a house:
· Transverse abdominus (front wall)
· Pelvic floor (floor)
· Internal obliques (side walls)
· Multifidus (back wall)
· Diaphragm (roof) which provide a light bracing similar to wearing a corset.
The core is also comprised of larger musculature, which provides additional support:
· Rectus abdominus or six pack (front wall)
· External obliques (side walls)
· Erector spinae (back wall).
Strength, endurance and correct biomechanical function of all these muscles is very important for overall health and function, as the core provides the base to almost all movement.